The editors of the Siren are excited to announce some big changes. We’ve always been your place for all news North Star related. Over the years we’ve been able to branch out and utilize Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media sources to keep in touch. Going forward, we’re going to utilize the North Star Blog as a hub for North Star news. Instead of a monthly (or bi-monthly…) news letter, we’re going to bring news here, and on a more regular basis.
The print Siren, which became the online Siren was always a great way to reach out to campers, parents, staff and alumni. Truth be told, putting together a multi-page newsletter was a cumbersome task and ultimately we weren’t sending out news updates as often as we wished. The new Siren, which our blog is now known as, will have news more often. We’ll split the Siren into shorter newsletters, delivering them to you more often. We’ll continue to utilize social media and we’ll need your help sending in newsbits. Parents, make sure you let your campers know about the Siren!
Throughout the month of October, the American Camp Association’s Camp Moves Me campaign has seen people all over the country work to raise money to send kids to camp. Several members of the North Star community have gotten involved to help the effort. October isn’t over yet, so see how you can either sponsor one of our campers or staff members…or get involved yourself.
Michael Thompson Ph.D will be speaking in the Northern Suburbs on Tuesday, October 21st. We’ve had the opportunity to hear Dr. Thompson speak and he has always been on our list of experts worth listening to. His sessions, “The Pressured Child: Helping Your Child Find Success in School and Life” and “Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Friendship Development, Popularity & Social Cruelty in Childhood” are sure to be helpful for any parent.
Learn more about Dr. Thompson’s sessions and how to RSVP. All sessions are free to attend.
We’re setting our reunion schedule and looking forward to seeing campers and staff from coast to coast. Up first is the Chicago Area Rreunion on Sunday, November 2nd from 3:30-5:30. The reunion will be at Pinstripes in Northbrook.
– We’re proud to be a part of the Camp for All Kids Foundation. This summer, a videographer visited the five Camp for All Kids Camps; North Star, Birch Trail, Chippewa, Kamaji and Timberlane. Check out the amazing video and learn more about the tremendous organization! Campers, you may even recognize a few people.
– Recommended Reading and Other Cool Stuff
- Best ice cream shop in Wisconsin? Of course it’s Wests Dairy in Hayward!
- The importance of kid’s having the freedom to play
- Steve Jobs and other tech CEO’s on low tech parenting
- Video: Dr. Michael Thompson on Eight Things that Parents Can’t Do for their Children (but wish that they could).