My name is David Shakno, and I’m a junior at Shaker Heights High School in Shaker Heights, Ohio. At school, I run on the cross country team, work as the Multimedia Managing Editor of my school’s student newspaper/news website and am a member of the Student Group on Race Relations (SGORR). In addition, I am a member of the Saltzman Youth Panel, a group of high school students that works with the Jewish Federation of Cleveland to research and review proposals for grants from organizations around the Cleveland area.
Aside from these activities, I am a huge sports fan and love Cleveland sports. This will be my seventh summer at North Star, and at camp I instruct waterskiing, basketball and softball.
More About David
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– Food, water and a fun bug
Favorite special program at camp
– United Nations Day
Your favorite TV or movie character
– Tommy from Rugrats
Your best memory of camp.
– It’s hard to pick one favorite, but returning to camp after The Canadian trip in 2012 is a memory I’ll always have.
Favorite Sports Teams
– Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Browns, Ohio State Buckeyes
What would you choose for your last meal?
– A chicken sandwich with fries
If you could be any animal, what would you be?
– A lion
Your two favorite books
– To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee & A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
– I like to collect snow globes
How has camp impacted you?
– Camp is something I look forward to year round. My time at North Star, both as a camper and as a counselor, has shaped who I am and created friendships that will last a lifetime.