Hi, my name is Ben Rubin and I am currently a Junior at Highland Park High School. With ACTs, college visits, and other standardized tests, this has been a pretty busy year for me. At school, I am involved in Congressional Debate, DECA, and my school’s robotics team. [Side note addition: I placed first Internationally in DECA and first in Illinois in robotics. I don’t know if that should be thrown in there or not.]
This will be my seventh summer at camp and my first one on staff. As a camper, I spent the majority of my time windsurfing and sailing, which I hope to teach at camp. Additionally, I will be working on the camper musical. I am very excited to be a CIT this summer!
More about Ben
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– I’d like to think that I would be practical and bring a boat, water, and a machete so I could survive, but in reality I would probably bring trivial items like a phone, a sleeping bag, and a change of clothes.
Favorite special program at camp
Your favorite TV or movie character
– Batman (Christian Bale, not any of the ones from the 80s or Ben Affleck)
Your best memory of camp.
– College Days last year. Go Slippery Rocks!
What would you choose for your last meal?
– Once again, I would like to think that I would choose something classy like steak, but it would
probably be pizza or bacon.
If you could be any animal, what would you be?
– The Mantis Shrimp. Hands down the coolest animal. Ever.
Your two favorite books
– Looking for Alaska by John Green and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
– I am very good at Indian Leg Wrestling.
How has camp impacted you?
– Camp made me a much more independent and responsible person. I feel that I have learned how to handle difficult and challenging situations and I have made several lifelong friends.