Kathryn Tietze has lived in Minnesota all her life. Her earliest memory of camping was the night she caught a skunk in a box trap that she set up. Ever since then she has been a lover of animals and the outdoors. She graduated from St. Olaf College in Minnesota and has recently retired after teaching 7th grade English for 32 years.
One of her reasons for coming to camp is that she married Tennis Mike last summer. However, her real reason for coming is that she discovered what an awesome place North Star is during the two years she dated Mike. This summer Kathryn will be one of the office staff.
More about Kathy
What is your dream job
– Having just retired, she doesn’t have a dream job–other than one that has her with Tennis Mike all summer. Oh, that means this is her dream job!
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
– In an earlier life, she was a fencer and her favorite weapon is an epee.
Your favorite TV character
– Her favorite TV characters include Robin Hood (from the ’50s), Captain Kangaroo and Casey Jones (from the ’60s).
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– If she were stranded on a deserted island, she would bring the Complete Sherlock Holmes, a good knife, and a large supply of dark chocolate.
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– She learned about North Star from Tennis Mike.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– Her earliest jobs included waitressing and office work, but the most rewarding and challenging of her jobs was teaching in the Minnetonka Public Schools in Minnesota.
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer Kathryn drove from Minneapolis to NSC and back once a week for an adventure day with Tennis Mike. She made plans for their wedding and sewed a wedding dress, and she and Mike enjoyed their honeymoon on the North Shore.
What, if any previous camp experiences have you had?
– This summer at North Star will be her first camp experience.