What can we say about Mike Storms? Twenty one years ago he joined us as our tennis pro and while he’s still hard at work all summer long teaching private tennis lessons, his impact at camp is so much more than that. He’s an expert popcorn maker and once a session each village is treated to a popcorn snack courtesy of Mike. He’s also known for his corny jokes and unique sense of humor. Beyond that, his work ethic and positive, upbeat attitude is an amazing example to us all. Even on the hottest of days he’s out on the tennis courts hard at work.
During the rest of the year Mike teaches music lessons in the Twin Cities. This year he’ll also bring his wife Kathy Tietze with him for the entire summer. Mike and Kathy were married last fall and we’re glad that not only will Kathy continue to share Mike with us, but she’ll be at camp as well.
In honor of Mike, its time for some popcorn!
More about Mike
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– I HAVE been on a deserted island–and I am going back this year: I will bring my wife, my flugelhorn and a golf club and a few balls…(I am counting the club and balls as one package/item)
Favorite special program at camp
– My favorite special program? 1st session–no… 2nd session! I guess it is Friday night service as we all express thanks for all, all, ALL the special programs…
Your favorite TV or movie character
– Fav tv/movie: so many…perhaps Phil Connor, the weatherman in Ground Hog Day…he shows a comedy-filled path
to a fulfilling life…
Your best memory of camp.
– over twenty years??? Far too many to start here: Sometimes at camp lunches us “oldtimers” go on and on about the best of memories: We run out of summer before we run out of stories….
Favorite Sports Teams
– Fav sport teams: Grite! (all NSC green/white teams)
– Last meal: Pizza, popcorn, ice cream…
If you could be any animal, what would you be?
– any animal? a camp dog!
Your two favorite books
– Calvin and Hobbes–the complete collection and anything else that has as much life wisdom and perspective…
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
– secret skills/hobbies: what you see is what you get…
How has camp impacted you?
– Camp’s impact: North Star has enriched my life on all levels since I was welcomed 20 years ago as an old boy of 33 years on the planet…