2018 Staff Spotlight – Guillaume Flavin
First year counselor Guillaume Flavin comes over from Oxford in England. Growing up, sport and the outdoors was a part of his life. He was on a rugby team but aviation has always been one of his passions. He joined the Air Training Corps at 13 and began gilder training at 15.
G was studying economics at University in York. Despite being 6′ 6″, he still has the dream of becoming an Air Force Pilot. He’s also a sailor, having taken sailing certification courses and gone on sailing holidays. At camp G will be instructing sailing, biking and a few other areas as well.
More about Guillaume
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I learnt about North Star when I was contacted by them after submitting my CIEE application. Out of the camps I was contacted by, North Star immediately stood out because of its activities and ethos. I also like the fact that kids at North Star stay longer at camp than most others that I’ve heard of.
If you could be any animal (besides a human), what would you be and why?
– A dog. My dogs seem to live a pretty good life and I reckon I’d enjoy being stroked and fed everyday.
What is your dream Job:
– Pilot in the military
If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be and why?:
– Ricky Gervais, Matt Bellamy and Brian Cox
What is the best Christmas/Hanukkah/holiday present that you’ve ever gotten:
– An air rifle
What are/were your favorite subjects in school:
– Maths, Physics and Economics
What are your top three movies of all time:
– Apollo 13, The Usual Suspects and Interstellar
What sports teams do you root for:
– Gloucester Rugby and Formula 1 in general
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– I used to take people their food at a pub on a Sunday
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I went to Edinburgh, completed my first sailing course, spent most weekends gliding, hiked Heilbronner Weg in Germany with a friend, went to Reading Festival and traveled to Helsinki, St Petersburg and Estonia.