2018 Staff Spotlight – Andrew McFarland
First year counselor comes to North Star from Minnetonka, MN, a suburb of the Twin Cities. Growing up Andrew was in scouts and for his 12th birthday he got two Kayaks, so he’s a big paddling guy. He’s been to the Boundary Waters several times so he’s got great experience to teach canoeing at camp. In addition to paddling, Andrew goes climbing regularly and also enjoys biking and cross country skiing.
Andrew went to Lehigh University in Pennsylvania for a year before transferring to St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN to be back in the land of 10,000 lakes. A psychology major, his career goals is to go into counseling.
More about Andrew
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I found out about North Star at a summer camp job fair at my college. Originally I was looking to be a canoe guide up in the boundary waters, but I heard about North Star and decided that I would rather be a camp counselor.
If you could be any animal (besides a human), what would you be and why?
– I would be an Eagle Ray. They are beautiful, black sting rays with white circles spotting their back. I relate to them because they love swimming in warm, ocean water and are curious by nature.
What is your guilty pleasure tv show(s):
– I enjoy Black Mirror, Westworld, and Bob Ross: Beauty Is Everywhere.
What is your dream Job:
– To be a therapist or mental health counselor. I would like to work with young adults and couples.
If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be and why?:
– I would have dinner with Bob Ross, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Lorde. They are all fantastic artist that I have admired throughout my life and I would to love to meet them in person. Bob Ross’ paintings are breath taking, Leonardo DiCaprio is a talented actor that brings his characters to life, and Lorde composes and sings inspirational, original songs that resonate with me.
What is the best Christmas/Hanukkah/holiday present that you’ve ever gotten:
– A trip to Cozumel, Mexico to SCUBA dive with my Dad. We had a blast and this trip deepened my love for the ocean and marine life.
What are/were your favorite subjects in school:
– Psychology, Environmental Science, Mathematics, and English.
What are your top three movies of all time:
– Inception, The Illusionist, and Her (directed by Spike Jonze).
What sports teams do you root for:
– The teams that my friends are on.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– I have worked a couple summers at Goodwill in past. It is fun working there because each position in the store has its own responsibilities and you never know what you might find or come across. Before that job, I was a scuba diver that removed invasion weeds from water front properties.
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I worked at Goodwill, hiked parts of the Superior Hiking Trail with my brother, and went camping along the North shore of Lake Superior with my friends.