2018 Staff Spotlight – Ari Weil
My name is Ari Weil and this is my twelfth summer at camp, after taking last summer off to work in DC. I’m was born and raised in Denver, just finished my BA in international relations at Pomona College, and will be spending the next year getting my MA at the University of Chicago. At Pomona, I manage the student bike shop and work as a research assistant. I just finished three weeks of travel to present my research at various conferences.
I’m so excited to be coming back to camp for the summer. At camp, you can find me in the senior village and teaching biking, ultimate frisbee, and riflery. I first gained my passions for those activities at North Star when I was a camper, so I love teaching them.
More about Ari
What is your favorite camp meal?
– Grilled cheese and tomato soup
If you could be any animal (besides a human), what would you be and why?
– I think sloths have a pretty great life
What is your guilty pleasure tv show(s):
Where is your favorite spot at camp:
– I love taking walks (or biking) down the nature trail.
What is your dream Job:
– Not my current career path, but it would be pretty cool to run my own local bike shop.
If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be and why?:
– Carl von Clausewitz and Lawrence Freedman because they are two of the greatest strategic minds, and Gloria Anzaldua because she is an incredible poet and I’d love to pick her brain.
What is the best Christmas/Hanukkah present that you’ve ever gotten:
– I love to read, and have gotten so many great books from family and friends over the years.
What are/were your favorite subjects in school:
– History and physics back in the day, political science now.
What are your top three movies of all time:
– Star Wars Episode V, Dunkirk, and Rogue One
What’s your go-to pie at the Norske Nook:
– Peach Melba
What sports teams do you root for:
– Colorado Rockies, Denver Broncos, and Denver Nuggets.
Share a random or little known fact about yourself.
– I once flew (and landed!) a full-motion 747 simulator at the United training center in Denver.