Staff Spotlight – Daniela Vargas
Hi, my name is Daniela Vargas and I’m from Hidalgo, Mexico, so I live in a little city called Pachuca (located next to Mexico City). I am 22 years old and I’m in 7th semester cocinar of my B.A. in Gastronomy where I’ve learned English and I’m also learning french.
When I was 8 years old I started cooking thanks to the teachings of my mother and I dicovered that I really love cooking. This will be my first summer working in the kitchen at North Star. Last winter I worked in Xel-Ha Park, Riviera Maya, it is a beautiful and tourist place in the Mexican Caribbean, where I worked like waitress, bartender and preparing big amounts of food.
More about Daniela
What is your dream job
– At first I want to work and learn in several places around the world like restaurants and hotels to meet people and other cultures, then I want to have my own restaurant.
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
– I like to dance any kind of rhythm.
Your favorite TV or movie character
– My favorite TV character is Walden Schmidt of “Two and a Half Men”
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– I would bring my best friend, lots of food and a boat to return.
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I learned about North Star Camp thanks to one of my friends, so I decided that I need to put in practice all that I have learned about english and improve my pronunciation, also I am very excited to meet new people.
– When I started my B.A. in gastronomy I worked in a call center for 1 year so I made these annoying calls to charge credit cards.
What got you interested in cooking?
– I have several reasons, the first and most important is because my parents used to cook food for selling since I was 6 years old and I used to help them, also my father had his own bakery several years ago and he taught me to bake cakes and pastries. I think I was born into a family that loves cooking.
What are your favorite things to cook/bake?
-I like to cook mainly lasagna, pizza and tiramisu because they are my favorite dishes but also I like to bake and decorate cakes and cookies.