Staff Spotlight – Duncan Lindsay
Duncan Lindsay joins us for his first summer, all the way from Te Anau in New Zealand. A world traveler, Duncan spent much of the last year in Scotland, where his father is from. He returned to New Zealand and worked managing a hostel.
Currently Duncan is traveling again ahead of coming to camp. He recently headed to Australia and then went to spend 2 months in Asia, with stops in Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam (to see where his granddad was stationed during the Vietnam war). After the summer Duncan will head to Japan. His goal is to return to university to study either psychology or human rights law. At camp Duncan will instruct climbing and sailing.
More about Duncan
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I was living and working in Scotland selling suits and one of my now good friends who I worked with spent his winter (Scottish winter) working over in USA at a summer camp. He told me all about it, said I would love it and it is just my thing. When I got back home to New Zealand I made it my goal to work in a summer camp in USA. I had a few Skype meeting with North Star and they were so nice and friendly I knew this is a place I would love to work for and hopefully learn a thing or two and be able to share my knowledge also.
What is your dream job
– I don’t know what my dream job is, all I know is what ever I‘m doing I want to be happy.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
– My first pick is easy I would have lunch with my grandfather (Dad’s Dad). He died when my Dad was only fifteen so Ii have never met him, only heard stories. He has help to shape my life without even knowing it. My second person would be Jeb Corliss. He is a professional skydiver and BASE jumper.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
– Honestly I want to go everywhere and do everything, I know this isn’t possible but I’m going to try anyway.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– If I’m not aloud to bring any means to leave this island (eg plane, pilot and fuel),
I would Bring a Knife, solar panel and a satellite phone.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
– I support the highlander even though they never win EVER…. (Super 15 rugby)
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– I did door to door sales in Scotland for about 2 weeks for a charity.
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I was working in New Zealand as the Assistant Manager for YHA Te Anau (hostel), on the edge of a temperate rain forest.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– I grew up on a small sheep farm, had other animals like horses, pigs, dogs, cats, cows, goats, alpacas, chickens. I have been hunting since I could walk, fishing since i could swim. Every year I would spend 2-3 weeks total in the bush cut off from the outside world, hunting, fishing, hiking. My sister is a trained rock-climbing instructor. I have spend large amounts of my spare time climbing rock walls with her. I went to a sport based school so I have played nearly ever sport you could name. My favorites are rugby, canoe-polo, ice-hockey, sailing and rock-climbing. As for previous camps I have done outward bound NZ, school camps and family camping trips.