Sifiso Tawane comes all the way from Johannesburg, South Africa to spend his first summer at North Star. Despite being from South Africa, Sifiso has quite a bit of camp experience. He has worked at Camp Sizanani of Global Camps Africa
. Global Camps Africa provides “HIV/AIDS prevention education and training through high-impact residential and day camp experiences and continuing education, equipping young people with the life skills that will support them in becoming safe and productive adults who have hope for the future.” The founder of Global Camps Africa is Phil Lilienthal, a former camp director from the US who is good friends with North Star and recommended Sifiso. Sifiso also spent last year working at a YMCA camp in Pennsylvnia and he wanted to get a chance to see how another camp works.
Sifiso finished college about a year ago and is hoping to become a social worker one day. At Camp Sizanani Sifiso was a swim instructor, and he’ll teach swimming as well as archery. We’re excited to have Sifiso join the North Star staff.
More about Sifiso
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I learned about North Star from the core founder of Global Camps Africa, Phil Lilienthal and I applied because I would like to learn more about it myself.
What is your dream job
– My dream job is to be a Counselor.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
– My great gran parents.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
– Amsterdam because it’s amusing in a way.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– Campus, food and water.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– Working at Camp Sizanani under Global Camps Africa.
What did you do last summer?
– I worked at a camp named YMCA CAMP KRESGE situated in Pennsylvania for three months.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– My life time experience I won’t forget and appreciate is going to USA and I had the best summer.