Staff Spotlight – Chai Yang
– I learned about North Star Camp when I received an email from Eagle Opportunities which is the employment website at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The reason why I applied was because I have been looking for a summer camp job, and I enjoy being given the opportunity to help kids grow and to inspire them.
What is your dream job?
– My dream job is a pilot because I would be able to travel the world. I have always wondered what the view would look like from the airplane! Unfortunately, I haven’t have to opportunity to experience it, but one day I will!
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
– If I could have lunch with any two people, I would choose my friend Quacheenu Vang and Martin Luther King, Jr. My friend Quacheenu passed away in early October last year; he was a good friend of mine. I have great respect for Martin Luther King, Jr. because he was known as a good leader and a good role model for others.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
– If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would go to Brazil. The reason why I would like to go there is because of the Amazon forest. I have always wanted to see the waterfalls and wild creatures.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– Water, chicken wings, and a knife.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– I am an Assistant Tennis Coach for the Holmen Boys Tennis. I also was a La Crosse Promise Program Advisor.
What did you do last summer?
– I took two summer classes: Statistics and Introduction to Political Science. I worked at McDonald’s and was also an advisor for the La Crosse Promise Program.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– My summer of my 8th grade year, I did a program called the Mississippi River Summer Adventure. It was a program through the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. We went camping up north next to Lake Superior for three days and did a ten mile hike. I would go on bluff hikes with my friends during free time when there was nothing to do.