Staff Spotlight – Derrick Morrin
Derrick Morrin joins the North Star staff for his first summer. He won’t have to travel too far this summer as he lives in Duluth, MN, which is about an hour and a half from camp. He went to Duluth Central High School and then spent a few years studying law enforcement.
He’s now studying media production and photography at Lake Superior College in Duluth. He’s gotten quite a bit of media experience, working on several different camera crews including for the University of Minnesota-Duluth hockey games. In addition to being a cabin counselor, Derrick will be working as a videographer at camp this summer.
More about Derrick
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I heard about North Star camp by searching around for different summer camps in the region, and after learning all about it I was excited for my opportunity. At first I was interested in being just a camp counselor, but then the opportunity came along for me to being the photographer/ videographer.
What is your dream job
– My dream job is to either have my own photography business, managed all by myself or to gain popularity with my work and to be recognized at a higher level.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
– I wish to have lunch with Annie Leibovitz the famous photographer. I would also love to have lunch with any of my favorite hockey players from the Minnesota Wild.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
– I would travel as much of Europe as possible, and I would love to just explore such a historic area of our past.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– I would bring my camera, an renewable source of energy to keep that charged and a dog to keep me company.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
– I root for the Minnesota Wild, Vikings, and I’m also a supporter of the Packers as well.
The Minnesota Twins have been on a downward slope the past couple of years but I still enjoy Baseball.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– In Duluth I have worked at a local gas station company, at several different locations. I have also worked for the local news station KBJR and filmed the UMD hockey games. I’ve worked for a friends dad’s construction and masonry company. I have worked at Spirit Mountain, the decc as security and also security for a private company. I’ve also worked my fair share of retail and food service as well. Including , Casino Pizza in Cloquet, selling suits at Men’s Wearhouse and I’ve also worked as a Valet at Fitger’s Inn. I am very familiar with Duluth as I’ve always grown up here, and have worked in diverse fields for employment.
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I worked at Fitger’s Inn valeting cars all summer , and also working on my portfolio for my photography.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– Growing up camping and canoeing was something I really enjoyed, in my high school years I didn’t have too many opportunities but I did go to the Boundary Waters two falls ago.
I am looking forward and highly excited for this summer, and meeting all of the campers and fellow staff!