Staff Spotlight – Joey Kujala
– I received a Job Announcement from NOLS and decided to apply after looking over the trip locations. I grew up in the Midwest and spent my youth exploring the Porcupine Mountains, the Superior Hiking Trail, and the Namakagon and St. Croix rivers. It seemed like a good fit.
What is your dream job
– To work for the NPS as a Backcountry Ranger full-time along with being a representative for a disc golfing company such as Discraft or Innova.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
– Lead singer Anthony Keidis from the Chili Peppers and John Muir. I’d have to have separate lunches though.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
– I’d go to New Zealand. Most likely go skiing, hiking, swimming, and hike the treacherous trail to Mordor.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you’d bring?
– An axe, some rope, and prescription sunglasses.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
– I enjoy watching sports, but don’t get too crazy about any team in particular. If I had to choose however: The Packers, The Badgers, and The Wild.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– I’ve held many jobs over the past several years. My favorite has been working for the NPS and my least favorite was working in a grocery store. Some of the more random jobs I’ve held that have been a lot of fun include a Lift Operator at Giants Ridge in MN and working at Central Waters Brewing Company in WI.
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I attended an intensive 5 week long summer research session for school, and then after that worked with the NPS in the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– I’ve been involved in the outdoors from a very young age via family outings and Boy Scouts. Some of the adventures I’ve had include Backpacking in New Mexico, sailing in the Florida Keys, Dogsledding in Canada, and many canoe trips in the Midwest.