Staff Spotlight – Allyson Ballinger
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
– I’ve always wanted to work at a camp, so I decided this summer to go ahead and explore my options! I found North Star and emailed them and they had the perfect position open for me of Assistant Waterfront Director.
If you could be any animal (besides a human), what would you be and why?
– Definitely an owl because they get to fly and explore everywhere; they see the world from a different perspective!
If you had a super hero power, what would it be:
– I think it would be cool to be able to blow bubbles filled with super powers so people could pop them and get whatever super powers for a time!
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
– In May I am working with a graduate student at Iowa State to capture fawns and tag them so he can monitor their progress all summer!
What are your top three movies of all time:
– Frozen has a special place in my heart, I also really enjoy sappy Nicholas Sparks movies and Comedies such as The Wedding Ringer.
What did you do last summer?
– I managed a pool in my home town.
What is a little Known fact about yourself:
– I once did a triathlon, I would also really like to do another.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– I used to go to a YMCA camp in Iowa when I was little every year, I think I went for a total of 7 years in a row. I’ve also gone on many outdoors adventures, including a camping trip to Arches National Park in Moab, Utah last year. Climbing up all the red rock hills was a challenge, but I had so much fun exploring the natural arches!