Staff Spotlight – Justin Powell
More about Justin
– I learned about North Star through Ohio State’s Career Networking site. I applied because I love to be outside and help people, and the trip leader position seems like the perfect job.
If you could be any animal what would you be and why?
– I would love to be any type of animal that could fly. I am going skydiving this summer after camp ends with my dad, and hope to get many more jumps in the future.
What is your favorite cartoon character:
-Goofy is one of my favorite cartoon characters. I did not watch a lot of TV, but I can distinctly remember getting my autograph book signed by him in Disney World.
What is your dream Job:
-My dream job is an outdoor guide or instructor. As such, the trip leader position here at North Star camp really stuck out to me, and I am hoping to gain valuable experience and pass on what I have to give to everyone here.
If you had a super hero power, what would it be:
-I would love to be able to shape shift into any animal I wanted to be. I’ve already mentioned how I would love to be able to fly, and being able to run, swim, and climb like other animals could be just as fun too.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
-I have refereed youth soccer (ages 5-16) for over eight years. My first official job was at a local Domino’s pizza right by my high school.
What are your top three movies of all time:
– McConkey, Art of Flight & Space Jam
What did you do last summer?
– Last summer I was a landscaping crew leader for the third summer at a company near my hometown. During my free time I hiked, kayaked, and played soccer whenever I could.
What is a little known fact about yourself:
– One of my front teeth is two-thirds fake from a trampoline accident when I was younger. Thanks to an awesome dentist I barely remember and you can hardly tell unless you knew.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
– I’ve been outdoors as much as possible my whole life, and in the past four years I have been snowboarding, kayaking, backpacking, and rock climbing as much as possible during the different seasons. I went on eight different rock climbing trips just this past fall to Kentucky, West Virginia, and Arkansas. I also made a trip to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan to snowboard this past winter, and am squeezing in a week and a half trip to Colorado to backpack and climb before camp starts!